September 14, 2009

Grandparent's Day

Though I probably don't celebrate it enough.... we love our grandparents and great grandparents. Although my mom (Nana) was a little under the weather yesterday, the kids and I loaded up in the rain and went out to visit my grandmother, aka Mamie to wish her a Happy Grandparent's Day! Here is a picture with 2 of her 6 Great Grandkids. Mine are #2 & #6 of the total bunch.

I also made her this little purple lap quilt to commemorate the occasion. Rachel over at p.s. i quilt did some decorative quilting on it and I added a bunch of different purple buttons to jazz it up. Purple is her favorite color as is mine! She loved it. She's so funny. Neither of us realized her oxygen tube was on TOP of her nose til after the pictures were taken. That's my Mamie!

I am so very lucky to still have my grandmother at 83 years old. She is the one who taught me how to quilt in the first place and I love her more and more each day.

To all of those who still have their grandparents - celebrate them and cherish what they can teach you and learn from them what they have been through. We've had some of the most amazing conversations over the years. Only reading about the Great Depression in our history books doesn't compare to listening to someone who lived through it first hand. My favorite story is about how they made panties out of flour sacks. Not too soft I'm sure, but a necessity none the less.

So with that being said.....I love you Mamie! You are the best!
Love,

4 comments:

  1. This was truly delightful, thank you for sharing. Yesterday, National Grandparents Day, we have launched Grandchild Connection, a service that strengthens the bond between grandparents and grandchildren. Grandchild Connection allows distant grandparents and grandchildren to develop close, meaningful relationships by utilizing today's technology of video conferencing. As part of the "VideoVisit" experience, we coach grandparents in educational and social activities that enhance the bonds they share with their grandchildren, and we provide the tools to achieve that end. We have launched our website today, National Grandparents Day, September 13th, 2009Come visit us @ grandchildconnection dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know it was Grandparent's Day! What a great photo and I'm sure she loved the quilt. All my grandparents are gone but I still have my Mom and try to spend as much time with her as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the purple quilt - Tyler arrived tonight (Friday) and he's sick - sure hope it is not Swine Flu!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment. If you have a question, feel free to ask and I'll email you back!