September 19, 2016

#QuiltsforPulse

Hello quilty friends!  Man I need to obviously get off Instagram and get back to blogging!  It has been quite some time since I've posted. Well there is a perfectly good reason!  I've been SO busy quilting!!  Yes I have been on quite a role lately.  I hope to be posting several more posts of what all I've been up to lately because if I tried to post it all here, I'm afraid you'd be reading for days!

First up is one that I'll be sharing on Blogger's Quilt Festival in the ROYGBIV category hosted by Amy Ellis!

So let's start off with a very special project that I just completed and mailed off last month to Orlando, FL. Alissa Lapinsky, the Orlando Modern Quilt Guild President, made a plea to all quilters far and wide, either guilds or individuals, to help out with making/assembling blocks/quilts for the victim's families and first responders/medical personnel of the Orlando Pulse Nightclub shooting that occurred on June 12.  Such a horrible and senseless act.

As quilters, when someone is hurt, we just want to help and Alissa had the brilliant idea for her fellow quilters to make heart blocks or whole quilts to donate to the people who were affected by this tragedy.  

The movement flooded Instagram like a California wildfire and of course, I jumped right on board!  Any and all quilts would be accepted, but Alissa thought it would be great for us to use the heart block pattern on Cluckclucksew's website in bright rainbow colors.

So I started sewing and the more blocks I made, the more I wanted to see it through to the very end and make a whole quilt!!  All the fabric came from my stash (are you not surprised?!?!).  The backing is a clover print vintage sheet that I thought would be perfect for this project as that is what these people need most- a bit of LUCK.  I did have to buy the binding fabric.  I thought the rainbow polka dots really finished it off.

I am proud to say that mine will be donated to someone in need in Orlando.  You can check out the Orlando Modern Quilt's blog for pictures of quilts/blocks that have been donated thus far.  Or Alissa posts pics alot on Instagram - just look for her feed under orlandomqg.  To date, over 800+ quilts have been donated to this cause!  Way to go fellow quilters!!












The rainbow stripe block was inspired by a pattern on Jaybirdquilt's blog.  So fun and easy to make.

Enjoy!
Jenn


4 comments:

  1. Missed this one earlier somehow. It is very pretty, and someone hurting from that incident will surely be comforted by your quilt. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great quilt, for such a great cause!!! I especially love that rainbow dotty binding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! You have a big heart and someone will surely appreciate the quilt! It's good to see you blogging again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful quilt sure to bring comfort.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment. If you have a question, feel free to ask and I'll email you back!